On Feb 24, 2011, at 4:40 AM, Ann Sanfedele wrote:

> Yes  - I found them really informative  (former geology student that I am)
> and I hope taking them was good theropy  -
> And  besides, they are good photos :-)

The best therapy was getting out there and helping.  It'd be good if there was
more to do but it's better that the damage is limited in our area so further
effort is not required.

I really wish I could go back into the CBD.  It wouldn't be the slightest bit
therapeutic but it would help me come to terms with it all.  I saw some of the
damage first-hand but it feels distant in the suburbs.  A lot of buildings that
are still intact will need to be demolished due to the damage.  It's going to
take years to rebuild and the city just won't be the same.

Yesterday I started to feel earthquake burnout again, it's all there is on the
news apart from a few minutes about Libya.  So I'm needing to start taking my
mind off it.  My biggest problem now is going to be keeping busy.  I can't just
sit around being bored and watching the news.

> Hope the worst of it all is over (the violence of the shaking )  as someone
> else mentioned from my part of the world
> what you guys are going through down under  really put our paltry snows in
> perspective.

A week ago I would have told you it was well and truly over.  One of the hard
questions now is whether it's over now or if we'll get another big one in a few
months.  But it's really not worth thinking in that way, we can't predict it
and just have to be prepared for "if and when".

We are getting plenty of small aftershocks, noisy and sharp.  I slept very well
last night and only woke up once or twice.  So it's a lot easier to deal with
this time around... except the infrastructural damage is a lot worse.

Our water is back on but at low pressure so I presume the pumping station is on
emergency power.  No guarantees about its sanitary status so we're boiling it
for 3 minutes as per the recommendations.

Work-wise I just don't know.  All my colleagues are fine but there will be no
access to the building for quite some time.  Janet has gone into work as her
office is outside of the cordoned area.  She invited me to go with her but I'd
have had nothing to do so I stayed at home I'll do some tidying around the
house then I might get on the bike and take the camera for a look around.

Dave