Dave,
We're all grateful the death toll isn't an order of magnitude higher.
Seeing where you were, you have to think that white facade was re-enforced.
San Francisco has many such old facades, but survives the big quakes.
Ordinances after the 1906 quake required their decorative stone work
be tied off.
I don't know the specifics as I'm not a trained architect, but construction in
California quake zones seems to tie things together - literally.
They don't depend strictly on gravity to hold buildings together.
Walls are metal strapped to floors and ceilings and support columns.
I suppose your new construction is much the same.
You should take heart from San Francisco's experience.
The 1906 quake and subsequent fire did not stop the city's growth.
The 1989 quake was devastating, but much more survivable.
I hope Christchurch takes a similar path.
Regards,  Bob S.