On Feb 27, 2011, at 2:29 AM, Bob Sullivan wrote:

> We're all grateful the death toll isn't an order of magnitude higher.
> Seeing where you were, you have to think that white facade was re-enforced.

I did wonder that, it's the only explanation I can come up with.  Having said
that, a number of reinforced historic buidings did collapse but they were
probably significantly older.  Their retrofitted reinforcing had held up in
September but this one was just too much.

The country actually learned about the dangers of masonry construction from the
Wairarapa earthquake of 1855 but I don't think the lessons were quite clear
enough, and the seismic risk in Canterbury may have been underestimated until
more modern times.  You can imagine the reaction of building owners if they
were told to reinforce or else.  In the back of my head I can remember that
they had been given that very ultimatum but the deadline had been extended due
to the costs involved.

> San Francisco has many such old facades, but survives the big quakes.
> Ordinances after the 1906 quake required their decorative stone work
> be tied off.

I'm not familiar with our seismic building codes so I couldn't speculate on
what our requirements are.  I also have Kobe in the back of my mind.  I know we
will recover from this but as Bob W observed, the economic impact is going to
be massive.

The psychological impact will be great as well.  Many people are going to be
very apprehensive about returning to work in buildings declared safe.  I saw on
the news yesterday that one of the businesses in the CTV building had moved in
there after their previous building was condemned after the September quake.
That condemned building is still standing.

Dave