On 11-03-25 7:47 AM, Krisjanis Linkevics wrote:
On Wednesday I had an opportunity to attend a studio portrait shootout that was
a part of some photo classes - basically a bunch of students going
trigger-happy. As I was just substituting for some fun I shot JPEGs and frankly
was surprised to see how much I could really play with them - something I
thought impossible without RAW. Anyway, just a few random pictures - would
appreciate some critical comments both general and framing/postprocessing.
Thanks.

A couple were shot with an IR-modified K10D and the others with the K-5.

http://foto.ri-ki.lv/categories.php?cat_id=5

kris

Some nice work here, Kris. You must have had some fun!

I like the close framing, and the standout shot for me is #6. The girl's happy, mischievous expression makes this shot really engage.

I have problems with the lighting in a couple where the lighting ratio seems to be reversed; the part of the subject's face in focus and facing us is quite dark. And of the two IR processed shots, the first is interesting, but the second one kind of creeps me out. The effect is cool, but strikes me as inappropriate for the subject, so the shot doesn't work. You'd need the subject to look more goth or something. As it is she looks like a smiling corpse.

BTW, your link isn't loading up for me now (4PM EST), so I'm rather going from memory (I saw these shots this morning).

-bmw