On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 09:23:18PM -0700, Larry Colen wrote:

> On Apr 16, 2011, at 9:18 PM, Bob Sullivan wrote:
>
> > John,
> > 0.25% on $100,000 is $250 for a full year.  A partial year is less.
> > I stopped worrying about squeezing the last $1,000 out of the checking
> > account
> > so I could earn more interest in the longer term accounts.  Just not worth
> > it.
> > Regards,  Bob S.
>
> The way I see the division of labor is that John lets his wife handle all of
> the financial details, this frees him up to make the important decisions,
> such as which lenses to buy.

And bodies ...   Mind you, it does mean she decides *when* to buy them.

While we probably don't squeeze the last dollar out of the system, it
certainly isn't difficult to get a whole lot more than 0.25% more than
what you would get from lending the money to the government. And while
that only means an average of $5 per $1000 for each percentage point,
it can still add up to a measurable sum.  Not enough for a K-5, but for
the amount of time she actually spends doing it it's a decent return.