On Apr 17, 2011, at 12:50 PM, Tim Bray wrote:

> Smaller would be nice but you can only take that so far before the
> K-glass gets way out of balance with the body; the K-5 looks
> deliciously butch with the short extra-fat Sigma on.
>
> Once again, what should Pentax be working on?  -T

1. I don't want smaller. It is hard to manage a large heavy lens on a tiny
camera body. I've tried it with my EP-L2. I don't have the K-5 yet but have
played with one a bit, and quickly realized that I would not be able to use it
comfortably, even with something like the 21mm, without adding the battery
grip. With my K-20 I can go either way, and tend to use the grip mostly with
larger lenses.
2. Auto-focus will never be fast enough or precise enough, but that doesn't
mean that continued work should not go into that aspect of the system.
3. Why should I have to manually adjust each lens to the camera to achieve
proper focus? Give me a firmware fix that evaluates the lens and develops a
unique solution for that lens. Allow me to edit it, just in case.
4. I don't want a tethered camera. I want a camera with a high speed Bluetooth
type of transmitter/receiver that allows me to remotely control the camera, and
do on-the-fly auto downloads of images, without plugging in a tether. Give me a
transponder in a separate box to boost speed and distance if need be, but no
tethers!
5. Quality GPS encoding into EXIF. Software options for setting defaults to be
used when satellite reception is insufficient for a good fix.
6. More control over bracketing. When doing macro, for example, why can't I
bracket on depth of field (i.e., variations in f-stop) and let the camera
adjust shutter and/or ISO to maintain proper EV? (This idea stolen from my
brother. If there is already a way to do this, he and I would both love to hear
about it!)
7. I would like to be able to chose whether the camera defaults to HSM vs.
screw-drive AF for any given lens. And to change that on the fly. (So that I
could use an HSM lens on an auto-focus-capable tele-extender.)

Another thing the camera needs is lenses to put on the camera. The Pentax
vaunted backward compatibility has allowed them to get away with ignoring their
lens development in many areas, but they need to produce some modern lenses
already!
        - DA* 250-600/5.6?
        - DA* 600/4.0?
        - DA 800/5.6?
Yes, I know that these would be big and heavy and expensive, but the option for
a special order, at least, should be there.

And where are the DA 1.4 and DA 2.0 tele-extenders?!?

stan