Not thinking about Pentax in specific, but I think DSLRs are an
endangered species from a development perspective. The sophistication
of today's DSLRs makes it more and more difficult to figure out what
can improve them as picture making machines. More pixels, more
sensitivity, faster this or that ... when is enough enough? What we
have today is superb, how much better can it get in a way that
actually improves the process of capturing photographs? A bazilion
convenience features do not make a better camera.

I was at the camera shop on Saturday and spent some time evaluating a
Leica M8. Yeah, yeah, the red dot costs a fortune. What appealed to me
was its stark simplicity: everythiing on the camera enables, motivates
you to concentrate on the subject and the task at hand, not fuss with
camera settings or optional feature configurations. Why is such a tool
for the photographer exclusive to those whose pay grade is several
stratospheric levels higher than mine? Can it really be that expensive
to build a simpler camera without all the fluffy stuff?

But I digress. I have no idea how Pentax can make a substantively better SLR.
--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com