On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 10:31 AM, Paul Stenquist
<pnstenqu...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Leicas are great for a certain type of use, but they lack the flexibility of
> a DSLR, in that they can't be used effectively with lenses longer than 135mm.
> While I enjoy my Barnack Leica, the lack of long lens support makes any Leica
> a non-starter for me and many other photographers. In regard to optional
> features on cameras, it doesn't bother me that they exist as long as they
> don't get in the way. And on the K-5, they don't. I use it the same way I
> would use a digital Leica.

I wasn't arguing that a RF can replace an SLR. I don't know how that
becomes a topic to debate. I used RF cameras alongside SLRs for many
many years ... I'm very aware of how much more versatile an SLR is and
didn't promote that Pentax should make a rangefinder camera.

What I liked about the Leica is that it is a well-made, excellent tool
with no chaff in the way of its intended purpose. It is a deliberative
camera with little on it that isn't directly and understandably
useful. My experience from teaching workshops and doing 1:1 training
with clients is that most of the so-called "convenience" features
cause a great deal of consternation and many errors. Cameras which
have a simpler design ethos minimize this sort of confusion and reduce
the decision making process.

And I'm not against complexity when it is useful and properly
designed. My E-5 is a professional grade camera with a great deal of
features and sophistication, and it is extremely customizable for many
different kinds of use. I don't use all the features, they're not all
needed for my photography, but I appreciate their being there for when
they might be very useful. And I apply customizations when they make
sense for the work I'm doing.

The question was 'Where should Pentax go with its SLR development?' My
response is that I don't know, the current crop of cameras is very
sophisticated and capable. How much more capable is needed or even
desirable on the basls of the "more more more" philosophy of current
marketing spin is a question mark to me, although more build quality,
more durability, more reliability would always be a big plus.

What I really debate is whether the SLR camera has much more real
development life left in it ... The old flipping mirror business gets
in the way of so many other things (lens design, mechanical issues,
auto-focusing issues, video capture, etc) that I think its days are
limited.
--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com