These days, I totally don't recommend Photoshop for photographers.
Yes, there are certain kinds of defects that can only be fixed, and
wholesale bit surgery that can only be performed, in Photoshop.  But
for 80% of photogs iPhoto or equivalent will do what they need, and
for 90% of the remaining 20%, including most PDML types, I suspect
Aperture or Lightroom will float their boat just fine.

I use Lightroom, but watching the general flow of discussion, suspect
that Lr/Aperture is more or less a wash these days; or it was until
Aperture suddenly got cheaper with the arrival of the App Store.  -T