On Apr 20, 2011, at 10:25 AM, John Sessoms wrote:

> On Behalf Of Larry Colen
>
>> I'm willing to bet that people like that even buy Leicas. Level of
>> experience or knowledge
>> has nothing to do with how much someone spends on something.  Look at how
>> long sports cars
>> have been available with automatic transmissions, even before the modern
>> ones that
>> arguably can out perform human shifting.
>
> I don't care if the automatic transmission can out perform me in shifting, it
> doesn't have as much fun, and is not as much fun to drive as my manual.
>
> Plus, I regularly get better MPG performance than I would with an auto.
> However you slice or dice it, an automatic transmission takes some of the
> engine's output for its own operation, and that translates into decreased MPG.

The modern dual-clutch transmissions don't suffer from that problem, they do
weigh a bit more, and are more expensive than manual transmissions, but they
can shift in a small fraction of the time, and can also run in manual mode.
When the overdrive on my MGB worked (since replaced with a ford 5-speed), I
learned an appreciation of shifting without taking my hands off the wheel.

Interestingly, despite the propensity of auto enthusiasts to prefer manual
transmissions, over the past 20 years of teaching performance driving at
racetracks, I've had a very small percentage of students that were actually
proficient at shifting. I suspect that something similar is true of
photographic skills. I'm sure that it would be very enlightening for me to
spend some time with someone who really knows how to use a camera.