Peter wrote:

>It is conceivable that Pentax might choose to go the same way without a
>lens with
>aperture ring as an option ....  as they now have no manual focus old tech
>SLR in the
>35mm range.

I don't think they will since most of their cameras currently sold is
dependent on an aperture ring.
The lack of aperture ring is for one reason only; save cost. It may not
make much difference on an expensive lens as the VR 70-200 Nikkor but it
make great deal over a whole lens line. This probably signalize that Nikon
will gradually phase out the aperture ring on their lenses becoming more
like Canon. This could probably be understood in the light of digital.

Pål