----- Original Message -----
From: "Pål Audun Jensen"
Subject: Re: Switching to Pentax

> Peter wrote:
>

> >Being also on the Nikon lists, I can offer another
perspective here. Pros are
> >welcoming this change as it means that they can no longer
make occasional
> >errors with
> >the aperture ring (current Nikon AF lenses must be set to
minimum aperture
> >for f-stop
> >control thru the control dial on the rear of the body).
>

> If that is the only reason wouldn't it be easier to just put a
locket "A"
> setting on the aperture ring like Pentax does?

That was one of those things I never did figure out. Minolta MD
lenses had an aperture lock, as did Canon FD lenses, and of
course Pentax A lenses.
Nikon, in their wisdom, never added this to their lenses.
Interestingly, it has been the aperture coupling that has
buggered up Nikons lens/body intercompatability, which is very
Hoover like, with entire lens series being unusable on most
bodies since the advent of the AI lenses. It was this
incompatability issue that helped drive me from Nikon to Pentax
in the first place.

William Robb