On Jun 3, 2011, at 7:12 PM, Brian Walters wrote:

> G'day all
>
> I just spent several "enjoyable" hours recovering from a near disaster,
> photographically speaking.
>
> My backup plan for the past few years has been to store all my photos on
> two external hard drives - No.1 is permanently attached to the computer
> and No.2 is kept off site (sort of - since I retired, a true off site
> solution is no longer practical).  I back up to No.1 almost daily and to
> No.2 every couple of weeks.
>
> Anyway, drive No.1 has been flaky for a few months now but is still
> working.  I haven't been too concerned because No.2 is up to date and I
> thought I'd get around to replacing No.1 when it finally carked.
> Unfortunately, when I connected No.2 last night - nothing.  Not even a
> 'device not recognised" message and no disk spinning sounds for the
> drive case.
>
> So there I was with all of my past 6 years of photo files on two drives,
> one of which could turn up its toes at any minute and another which had
> suddenly become inaccessible.  Fortunately it didn't, so all of my image
> files are now 'safely' on a new external drive.  The only downside is
> that I've got another few fun filled hours doing the same thing to a
> second new drive.
>
> Digital photography - bah!!
>
> However, this got me wondering what methods others use to backup their
> files......

I employ nine external hard drives on my desktop computer, plus a laptop and
one external drive for that machine. The laptop's external drive is hooked up
only for backups. . Photos that are important to me are on at least  three
drives. Some snapshots are on only two drives. All are on site. I work at a
home office and backing up at another site would be a major hassle. My desktop
startup drive is backed up regularly to a second drive by Apple's Time Machine.
My copy documents, which are my main stock in trade,  are on the desktop
startup drive, the time machine backup, and on the hard drive of my laptop.

Paul