On 6/4/2011 02:12, Brian Walters wrote:
However, this got me wondering what methods others use to backup their
files......

My method is not bullet proof, but I reckon no method is.

I have a unix box with 2 pairs of HDDs in mirror raid setup. I copy the files from the memory cards directly on the unix box. Once copied I format the cards. From time to time, usually once every 2 weeks I make a backup of the HDDs onto external HDD using EMC Retrospect software that I have from one of the external HDDs systems I had in the past.

That's it.

So far no major disasters that I couldn't cope with. Twice we had to rebuild the raid, but given that it was a mirror, data was intact. Few times I have deleted something I should have. Easily restored from my backups.

Oh, and the two specific HDDs that I store my photos on happen to be of the same capacity but of different manufacturer. I am not certain it is a good idea or not, but it is worth mentioning. I did have my share of trouble with IBM Ericsson HDDs.

Boris