> > On 03/06/2011 5:12 PM, Brian Walters wrote:
> >

> >> However, this got me wondering what methods others use to backup
> >> their files......

Step 1. Move everything from the card to an external hard drive.
Step 2. Burn the new files to a DVD .  No editing, as I do delete in camera
those that are
hopeless.
Step 3. Copy the new files to a second external hard drive, on a different PC.
Step 4.  After processing, move the files to subject specific folders, some of
which have
date-related sub-folders - mainly the family stuff, so that if I want a shot of
four-year old grandchild some years later I can narrow the search down to one
specific
area.

The only time I've lost files was when I made a CD of some scans of old
photographs sent
to me by a nephew, and forgot to back them up to a HDD.  Of course, that's the
only CD
which has gone belly-up on me!

John Coyle
Brisbane, Australia