At present I back up (although not often enough) to three different
external drives plus my laptop before I delete images from the SD card.

Later on this month a friend will be sticking some machines in a rack
at a colo site here in San Jose, and he's offered me some free space
in the rack (plus a reasonable machine to stick in there). That will
let me set up a real backup of image storage at an external facility.
I'll also move my personal domain there, and set up a post office to
consolidate all those email addresses that accrete over time.