On Jun 10, 2011, at 7:42 AM, Ecke PDML wrote:

> 2011/6/10 Paul Stenquist <pnstenqu...@comcast.net>:
>> Once you're logged in, the system already knows who you are.
>
> Agreed. But do take a look at what facebook says to advertise their
> data mapping and mining abilities to online marketers. They infer all
> sorts of information about you just from who your friends are and from
> the batch import of your various mail address books and your
> communication habits etc. etc. and we may well agree that there is no
> harm done as long as all it means is that you get adverts for stuff
> they think you may want. However, once that data reaches a critical
> mass, others may become interested in it - NB I am not saying THEM or
> the Bilderbergers or the SYSTEM. Just anyone really. I just don't want
> my data in the wrong hands. Any black hat will do just fine. I don't
> think you can call that paranoia. I just feel that facebook is giving
> very little and (call it taking or asking) very little in return. Free
> Farmville doesn't add much to my life...

Of course Facebook provides an extensive database for advertisers. That's their
stock in trade. But so do literally millions of other websites -- websites that
aren't subject to the constant monitoring and scrutiny that attends Facebook,
due to its prominence and reach. Heck, everything we've said here will soon be
in the Pentax archives and available to the entire internet world. Every site
you visit, every item you buy, every search you conduct contributes to your
electronic profile. Worrying about Facebook is pointless, IMO. The only way to
maintain privacy is to unplug all the electronic devices in your home and
become a veritable hermit.

By the way, I've opted out of Farmville updates:-).

Paul