On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 8:04 PM, Paul Stenquist <pnstenqu...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I'd like nothing better than to get rid of comcast and my cable modem. So
> I've been thinking about buying a 4G wireless hotspot and using Verizon as my
> ISP. Verizon has said 4G wireless is available in my area.  Is anyone doing
> this? Is the technology ready to replace cable internet? Are the pioneers
> taking arrows?

I am considering doing this when 4G is deployed at my home... but only
because my current connection is satellite Internet, which is
incredibly bad. I pay $50/month for 512 kbps down / 128 kbps up, with
a 7.5 GB/month cap. It often stops working in bad weather. The latency
(due to the stupid-ass finite speed of light) precludes gaming,
Skype/FaceTime, and other real-time applications.

The main problem with 4G is the monthly data caps. With Verizon, I
think the choices are 5 GB/month for $50, or 10 GB/month for $80, with
overage at $10 per GB.

My 7.5 GB cap on satellite has a severe impact on the things I can do.
Windows, iTunes, iOS, and other software updates add up. I like
downloading podcasts and buying music, but I need to keep an eye on my
totals. Even though I pay for Netflix, streaming movies is out of the
question. Downloading games from Steam is out of the question (many
are 10-15 GB per game).

With Verizon, I'd get the 10 GB package, pay a little more than I do
now, get a little more data transfer per month, and a lot more speed
and (probably) reliability. If I had cable or DSL available to me,
there's no way in hell I'd switch, because I would never voluntarily
accept such a low data cap.

If you are seriously considering the switch, I'd make sure you know
how much data you transfer in a month, and how it compares to
Verizon's caps. Comcast may have tools for monitoring your usage,
since they also have (much higher) data caps in some markets.