On Jun 15, 2011, at 8:47 PM, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

>> Okay, looks like I'll be sticking with cable internet. Thanks to Matthew and
>> Cory for setting me straight.
>
> Good decision not to depend entirely on 4G cellular. It's not quite
> ready for that amount of load and it is much more expensive.
>
> When we moved last Fall, we cancelled cable and land-line telephone
> service entirely. ATT offers an "aDSL only" service option in this
> area with a 6Mbps up/down rate, the promotional rate is $20/month for
> the first year going to $43 after that. We outfit the condo with two
> Skype phones and bought a monthly service package from Skype ($6) that
> includes a land-line DIN number and unlimited calling to land-line
> DINs in the United States. On top of that, I have Netflix for $11 per
> month that gives me unlimited streaming and one DVD at a time access.
> The television is connected to the internet via an AppleTV 2 (lots of
> free content via Podcast and YouTube plus Netflix plus rent-on-demand
> or stream from the computers and iPad). For local news, we fitted a
> digital antenna. The ATT line drops into a wireless Apple Extreme base
> station (802.11b/g/n) which can keep up nicely with the television
> flow, three lap/desktop computers, two iPads, one iPod Touch. There
> are only rarely any contention issues.
>
> Our monthly comm costs, outside of our personal cell phones
> (no-contract, monthly pay as you go for each of us on unlocked
> quad-band GSM handsets I bought for $50 apiece), went from $230 month
> to about $40 with a huge improvement in service speed. We get 93-96%
> of the signed for 6Mbps data rate for real use.
>
> It simply is a lot more effective benefit over cost than anything else
> I've researched. I don't know whether an aDSL only service is
> available in your area but if there is you should check into it.

Thanks for the info, Godders. Last time I checked DSL wasn't available here. I
was told that I'm not close enough to a phone company facility. Comcast is
reliable and fast, but I was just thinking it might be better to consolidate.
Now I'm using three communication companies: DirecTV for television, comcast
for internet and Verizon for cell phones. Would have liked to eliminate one.
Paul