From: Paul Stenquist

On Jun 15, 2011, at 8:47 PM, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

Okay, looks like I'll be sticking with cable internet. Thanks
to Matthew and Cory for setting me straight.

Good decision not to depend entirely on 4G cellular. It's not
quite ready for that amount of load and it is much more
expensive.

When we moved last Fall, we cancelled cable and land-line
telephone service entirely. ATT offers an "aDSL only" service
option in this area with a 6Mbps up/down rate, the promotional
rate is $20/month for the first year going to $43 after that. We
outfit the condo with two Skype phones and bought a monthly
service package from Skype ($6) that includes a land-line DIN
number and unlimited calling to land-line DINs in the United
States. On top of that, I have Netflix for $11 per month that
gives me unlimited streaming and one DVD at a time access. The
television is connected to the internet via an AppleTV 2 (lots
of free content via Podcast and YouTube plus Netflix plus
rent-on-demand or stream from the computers and iPad). For local
news, we fitted a digital antenna. The ATT line drops into a
wireless Apple Extreme base station (802.11b/g/n) which can keep
up nicely with the television flow, three lap/desktop computers,
two iPads, one iPod Touch. There are only rarely any contention
issues.

Our monthly comm costs, outside of our personal cell phones
(no-contract, monthly pay as you go for each of us on unlocked
quad-band GSM handsets I bought for $50 apiece), went from $230
month to about $40 with a huge improvement in service speed. We
get 93-96% of the signed for 6Mbps data rate for real use.

It simply is a lot more effective benefit over cost than anything
else I've researched. I don't know whether an aDSL only service
is available in your area but if there is you should check into
it.

Thanks for the info, Godders. Last time I checked DSL wasn't
available here. I was told that I'm not close enough to a phone
company facility. Comcast is reliable and fast, but I was just
thinking it might be better to consolidate. Now I'm using three
communication companies: DirecTV for television, comcast for internet
and Verizon for cell phones. Would have liked to eliminate one.
Paul

Telephone companies will lie to you. "Not close enough" only means your local utilities regulator hasn't agreed to them jacking the rates up where they want them to be.

-----
No virus found in this message.