I frequently find myself photographing in lighting that is beyond the color
correction ability of lightroom, usually because of there being lots of red and
yellow colored lights.

I ran into this problem at a dance last night:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157626913661877/

The ideal would be if lightroom just let me push the color correction harder,
either by doing a pre-adjustment to one of the color channels, or letting me
set it to a color temperature cooler than 2000.  But, since I don't have that
option, I took the photos from last night, exported them as TIFF, reimported
them, and dialed in a bit more color correction:
http://www.flickriver.com/photos/ellarsee/sets/72157627039017446/

I'm not entirely thrilled with the outcome of these photos in particular, but I
am pleased by the potential of the technique.  I think it will work better in
cases where the background doesn't have radically different color balance, and
when I go into the shoot planning on using this technique.  I'd make my first
pass at color correction the same on all of the photos, including one with a
grey card, then do the second pass of color correction sampling on the greycard.

I suppose that the other option is just not to take pictures in places that has
lighting that is quite that wonky.