On 28 June 2011 10:44, Paul Stenquist <pnstenqu...@comcast.net> wrote:

> (snip) I like ads. No, I love ads.
>
> Paul

I'm not against ads.  They let me have a service which costs me
nothing, at the small cost of some inconspicuous advertising on the
page where my work is displayed.

But let me qualify that statement.  The ad is inconspicuous when I'm
displaying via Flickr.  It's to the right of, and below my photo, and
in most cases you would need to scroll down to see it.  You will
probably see the ad if you run a very high screen resolution, but as I
said, it's underneath and displaced to the right.  It's not a banner
ad sitting close above the picture, like on photo.net.  It never
appears as a pop-up in front of the picture, like on photo.net.

In my early internet days I was a photo.net free subscriber and
displayed my pictures there, but then they brought down a severely
small display limit for the freeloaders, so I jumped ship.  Also, I
never liked their critique and rating system.  I objected to being
scored by nincompoops whose only qualification is that they can afford
a camera and a computer.

The flickr social structure is much kinder.  You can comment or award
"badges", but nobody issues scores.  And for the most part it's still
afriendly society.  YouTube style hate mail hasn't found it's way to
flickr, thank God.

I use Picasa Web as well, but find it a bit plain when I want to show
off, so it's just a place where I share my happysnaps.

regards, Anthony

   "Of what use is lens and light
    to those who lack in mind and sight"
                                               (Anon)