It could simply be a problem of the drives being screwed up. The system regestery can end up pointing two different device drives at the same port, which might keep either driver from working properly. In the control panel open the system dialog, and switch to the hardware tab. There should be a button labeled hardware, to open the device manager. Check to see if you have any yellow question marks displayed.