Thanks for all the advice, Bruce.

I do most of those to one extent or the other, though I have a tough time making myself bump the ISO up, even though the camera is capable of it. I never go above 3200 unless it's just to show someone that the camera will do it. I should probably get over that, huh?

Being prepared for the very small keeper rate, on the other hand -- that's my forte!

I usually keep my camera in center-weighted, average metering, as I've been less than impressed with the matrix metering in the past. And I agree that does tend to produce better results to my eye.

Where I have the most difficulty is in a situation like the one I was in most recently -- indoors during mid-day, huge windows with lots of sunlight under a hazy sky in a room with very high ceilings with recessed fluorescent bulbs, plus dropped fixtures (about 7 ft or 2.5 m high) with incandescent bulbs, PLUS some very, very white light spilling in from a kitchen area, just off to the right. All of this in a room with fairly bright yellow walls.

I got some crazy-looking colors out of that one. The AWB just threw up its hands and said, "Your guess is as good as mine, dude."

Thanks again!

Walt