On Aug 15, 2011, at 4:39 PM, Bruce Walker wrote:

> On 11-08-15 7:27 PM, Larry Colen wrote:
>> On Aug 15, 2011, at 1:29 PM, Bruce Walker wrote:
>>
>>> I find I'm happier with the trad grid thumbnail layout these days. I can
>>> browse the thumbs and choose a couple to inspect. If I like what I see I
>>> will walk through more of the gallery.  Flickriver (and all the other
>>> "infinite-list" brethren) doesn't give you that option. Either you wait for
>>> all the fullsize images to load or you get nothing.
>> If the flickr grid were the whole image scaled down to 120 pixels, that
>> would be my preference, but they do some arbitrary 100 pixel square crop,
>> which is inevitably bad.  I will point out that if you prefer the flickr
>> interface (and you may be the only person on the planet that does) and don't
>> want to do something else while it preloads, you can always easily tweak the
>> url
>
> That's what I later did.
>
> Don't get me wrong though, I *don't* like Flickr's grid either. That
> arbitrary 100x100px crop thing sux.
>
> I'm still wandering around randomly looking for a better photo-site. 500px
> has some nice bits, but you can't even create sets unless you go "Awesome"
> (paid level).  Lately I've been putting small galleries up on Dropbox by
> exporting HTML directly from Lightroom.  Dumb as a bag of Canikon glass, but
> it works.

I'll eventually "do it right" on http://www.redforestphoto.com
For some value of "right"

>> I do like LRC24079,
>> :-)  That was a case of blown focus.  EXIF doesn't say whether it was manual
>> or auto focus, but either my eye, or the camera picked the tuning keys to
>> adjust on, leaving the bass player out of focus.  Just as I was about to get
>> rid of that photo, I saw this crop in it, and decided I liked it.
>
> I *never* delete shots unless they are 100% white or black.  I mark them as
> Reject if they are very crappy, but they are always restorable.
>
> I hope you take this as a lesson. :)

I only delete shots that are totally blown from my mac.  And still keep backup
copies of everything, straight off the card, on my Linux box.

A very similar thing happened to me with this photo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellarsee/4902762069/in/set-72157624636199391

I forgot that the 16-50 was on manual focus and didn't notice it when I was
photographing the Veyron with the other bug in the background.  When I was
sorting photos, I realized the upper right corner was a better picture than the
one I was trying to take.