On 2011-09-04 08:43 , Eric Weir wrote:

Sorry bout that.

On Sep 3, 2011, at 10:11 PM, steve harley wrote:

but cooking for a really long time is not something we do much, especially
midsummer when the collards arrive from our farm share (we don't air condition
our house), so perhaps there is something about collards we've missed; in
comparison, arugula seems so easy ...

Then it's cooking you don't like -- or cooking a long time. This is a fairly
traditional recipe. A long time, but simple.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe-Tools/Print/Recipe.aspx?RecipeID=16024&origin=detail&&Servings=6

thanks for the thought -- that recipe is pretty plain, wow! and we are vegetarians anyway, though i understand that the flavor and mouthfeel of meat fats are what makes a dish work for some people

we had collards in green curry last night, along with green beans, mushrooms, carrots, onion, garlic, coconut milk, fresh basil, lots of spice, brown rice ... the collards didn't interfere with the flavor, but they were a bit papery probably because we didn't cook them for more than 20 minutes

today, the summer heat having finally broken, we are planting a fall crop of, among other things, arugula; and there will be cool nights for cooking things for a long time