On Sep 11, 2011, at 1:19 AM, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 8:28 PM, Anthony Farr <farranth...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I couldn't find a camera with the 10MP Panasonic sensor that could
>> reach iso6400.  Olympus 410 and above, 510 and above and the Panasonic
>> DMC-L10 all top out at iso1600.  The Olympus E-3 tops out at iso3200,
>> but its sensor is quoted as being 10.1MP and I can't verify that it's
>> the same unit as the 10MP sensor.
>
> Easy to obtain higher ISOs: set the highest and underexpose by the
> number of stops required. Boost in processing.
>
> I was never interested in any of the E-xxx bodies because of the
> viewfinders, but the E-1, E-3 and E-5 are superb. Even the ancient E-1
> with it's old, slow hardware now produces superb results at ISO 3200
> and even ISO 6400 if you know what you're doing when you expose and
> process the raw files. The E-5 produces very clean results at ISO 6400
> almost without any processing at all.
>
> Overall, though, this obsession with ultra high ISO settings and the
> desire for noiseless results is, to me, utter and complete nonsense.

Low noise, high ISO  can be extremely useful for anyone who shoots with long
lenses in bad conditions or who covers indoor events in low light. Many clients
don't want grainy or noisy photos, and being able to shoot noise free at ISO
800 can be a huge advantage. When shooting cars for publication, I was pretty
much limited it ISO 200 with the K7. With the K5, I can easily go to ISO 800.
That has made my life much easier. I've also found its a great advantage when
shooting wildlife. Where ISO 800 was pretty much the highest practical
sensitivity with the K7, I now get better results at ISO 1600 with the K5. And
3200 isn't out of the question.

Paul