I really don't care much what Google has heard of. I just want to see
what the issue is.

Sorry, trying to look at a JPEG image at this size  is just about
useless to see "shadow banding" ... I can't see anything from
comparing the unprocessed image to the processed one with these tools
other than than you rendered the processed one nicely. I don't even
see a useful way to move from the first to the second image. Picasa
just sucks rocks, IMO.

I capture only with raw format, are you capturing JPEGs? That might be
the issue.

--
Godfrey
  godfreydigiorgi.posterous.com