Back in the days when I worked for Hearst, it was considered gospel that serifs
were easier to read. If you look through a lot of pubs today, you'll see most
use serifs for body copy. Personally, I find a standard serif font like times
or garamond to be easier to read that san serifs. That may be just a matter of
what I'm accustomed to.

Paul