Perhaps in the general population - I think that particular eye problems may affect one's ability to read different font faces more easily than others. I'm astigmatic, and I haven't had an eye exam for far too long.. found the type in the PDML book very difficult to read..
apart from its' size... I also have some difficulty reading  any cursive
stuff. in terms of non serif stuff, certain words are difficult to read in arial - like ,um, Illinois. :-)

i captioned my photos in a couple of calendars with Lucida caligraphy and Lucida handwriting because I thought it looked nice, but I had a hard time checking my spelling

ann