on 2011-09-16 06:42 Stan Halpin wrote
Thanks Steve. I did see your link, also noted the link in my first Google
search. I hadn't clicked through to it because it was on some guy's personal
site and I was looking for published (peer-reviewed) articles. Which is one
plus for Wikipedia - they do try to keep people from posting mere opinions
without documentation.

and indeed, Poole's article is cited in the wikipedia article on typography

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typography#Readability_and_legibility>

i had read a bunch of research over the years, but haven't kept track of it, and even if i had it would be hard to show how inconclusive all the research is without an article like Poole's