On Oct 8, 2011, at 6:53 PM, John Sessoms wrote:

> From: David Mann
>> On Oct 8, 2011, at 6:15 AM, John Sessoms wrote:
>>
>>> OTOH, even a cheap UV filter doesn't degrade the image as much as
>>> a scratched up front lens element. If the filter does get
>>> scratched up, a filter is cheaper to replace than a lens.
>>>
>>> That is not conjecture, it is bitter, hard learned, expensive
>>> experience.
>>
>> Interesting, I'd be interested to hear more details.  I've heard the
>> stories of Pentax lenses being used as ash trays without the
>> slightest damage so I figured you'd have to try pretty hard to
>> scratch one.
>>
>> Myself, I always have either a hood or a cap on my lenses.  I
>> consider UV filters to be superfluous, but they're not as bad as
>> someone using a lens with a hood fitted in its "backwards" position.
>> That's fingernails on a blackboard to me
>
> A lens cap provides no protection while you are actually taking photographs.
> The lens hood does not always adequately protect the front element.
>
> I slipped & fell while taking photographs. The camera hit the ground lens
> first.
>
> The lens did not have a filter. I put a bad ding (like a chipped car
> windshield) in the front glass that showed up in every photo I subsequently
> took with that lens, so that I ended up having to replace it.
>
> I have had other accidents where I banged up the filter, but the the lens
> itself was not damaged.

Okay, that works for you. But I've never damaged a front lens element in 50
years of photography. I did bend one filter ring 35 years ago. I can't see
putting a $50 filter on a $1000+ lens.  If I was convinced that I couldn't keep
from damaging my equipment without filters, I don't think I would invest in
good glass. Because a filter renders good glass, mediocre.
Paul