On Oct 8, 2011, at 6:15 AM, John Sessoms wrote:

> OTOH, even a cheap UV filter doesn't degrade the image as much as a scratched
> up front lens element. If the filter does get scratched up, a filter is
> cheaper to replace than a lens.
>
> That is not conjecture, it is bitter, hard learned, expensive experience.

Interesting, I'd be interested to hear more details.  I've heard the stories of
Pentax lenses being used as ash trays without the slightest damage so I figured
you'd have to try pretty hard to scratch one.

Myself, I always have either a hood or a cap on my lenses.  I consider UV
filters to be superfluous, but they're not as bad as someone using a lens with
a hood fitted in its "backwards" position.  That's fingernails on a blackboard
to me.

Cheers,
Dave