> I suggested a rack and basket, though a saddle bag is preferable to a
> pannier most of the time.  Baskets, like this one
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/todophoto/4598728499/in/photostream/ are
> cheap and can carry backpacks, camera bags, groceries, all of the
> above.
>
> Carradice bags have become expensive and hard to find in the US.
> That's a shame, because they're really very nice.

on the back of mine here is a Carradice Super-C:
<http://www.web-options.com/Sunnydene/content/images/large/_8167523.jpg>

with a bit of judicious packing it can take enough to credit-card tour for
any length of time. With a Domke F5-XB strapped to the bars you can also be
a photographer.

The only thing about photography while touring is that you need to be
careful to prop the bike upright when you get off to take a picture,
otherwise if you lay it flat stuff may fall out of your bag and be lost.