> From: pdml-boun...@pdml.net [mailto:pdml-boun...@pdml.net] On Behalf Of
> Walt Gilbert
[...]
> I looked at racks after I found my tires tonight and thought about
> picking one up, but just didn't have the money to lay out for it

think about getting a saddle bag rather than a rack & panniers. Saddle bags
are well out of fashion but they are far more practical than a rack &
panniers, and much better than using a backpack. It never ceases to surprise
me how many people are commuting with half empty panniers, carrying all that
weight for no reason, and it makes the bike look ugly. Similarly, the number
of people carrying loaded backpacks, unbalancing them, making their back
sweaty and making the ride unpleasant. A saddlebag puts the weight in just
the right place so that the quality of the ride is not affected, and it
means the bike, not you, is doing the carrying. Finally, they're also a lot
cheaper than a rack & pannier set. Carradice is the classic English brand,
but there are plenty of others around.

> after
> buying some suitable pants so that I don't have to worry about getting
> my cuffs caught in the chain.

The hipsters roll their trouser leg up
<http://www.rapha.cc/images/gallery/1410-09.jpg>