On 10/21/2011 12:12 AM, steve harley wrote:
on 2011-10-20 21:36 Walt Gilbert wrote

Well, a friend gave me one tonight. Unfortunately, the last bicycle I ever owned was when I was about 14 years old. Consequently I know exactly jack shit about them these days. It seems like a pretty good bike to me -- especially
considering the price. Here's a couple of photos of it.

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa376/WaltGilbert/IMGP3404.jpg

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa376/WaltGilbert/IMGP3396.jpg

looks like a fairly average "city bike" -- upright riding position, workable components, not made to last forever or to ride long distances
That sounds a lot like what it was used for before I got it. The guy who rode it generally just rode it around in the suburbs and took it on vacation with him. And it strikes me as a pretty good vehicle for hauling around a camera to a few places a car can't quite get to if I have suitable tires.

should do fine on streets and smooth park trails; with a triple up front that's 21 speeds, so you can stroll up hills; fatter tires can absorb bumps better, knobby tires aren't necessary unless you're riding on mud, snow or gravel; can't really tell, but the seat could be the weak point ...

The area I live in does have a lot of gravel roads, potholes and washboard surfaces in some spots, so I figure I'll need somewhat fatter tires than the ones that are on it now. There are a couple of wildlife preserves within riding distance, too, and the roads on those are entirely gravel. There will likely be some snow (and ice) this winter. The seat was more comfortable than I'd expected, but I've only ridden it a couple hundred yards, just to get a feel for the seat height adjustment. I'll need to log a few miles on it before I see how that's going to work out, I figure.

Thanks for the input, Steve.

-- Walt