I've got something very much like this:

http://www.about-bicycles.com/bicycle-bags.htm

The side bags (panniers) fold up and zip to the main bag. However, when I need
to carry more than I can in the trunk, they  unzip, clip to the rear rack and
I've got a set of instant panniers.  I really like it.  The bag is big enough
to easily carry a fair amount of camera gear.

I have found that it's not nearly so handy having the camera behind me as it
would be in bags on the handlebars though.