A quick reference to craigslist setting a max price of $250 and limiting it to those postings that include photos still returns 983 entries.

You might have to take a little exercise weeding through those ads to find one that fits you, but you shouldn't have to spend a lot of money to get a good ride.

From: John Francis
On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 01:25:52PM -0400, Ken Waller wrote:
Along similar lines, I was experiencing neck issues with the riding
position of my 1988 Cannondale MTB. Talked to a local Trek dealer
and wound up with their 7300 hybrid.
Cured the neck issue and put some more fun back into riding.

The Cannondale was no slouch in its time but its enlightening to see
the progress in bike technology since 1988.
Both bikes have aluminum frames and are equipped with reasonably
components - not the top of the line but far from junk. Thge
shifters on the Trek are about as good as can be while the Cannodale
has a less positive shift mechanism. The Trek has front suspension,
a cushioning seat post several built in adjustable points while the
Cannondale had none of that. The Trek cost $250 less than the
Cannondale.
Bicycles are, if anything, worse than cameras when it comes to pricing.

When I wanted to get in a bit of exercise I decided to explore the cheap
options first.  For around $300 you can pick up a perfectly decent model
(in my case a 21-gear hybrid with front suspension forks, sprung seat,
upright riding position, etc.)  That's served me well for a few years now -
I don't feel a compelling need to go out and spend 5 (or 50) times as much.
Sure, it's a bit heavy.  But it's helped me remove about 40 lbs of unwanted
weight (which puts worrying over a few pounds of bike frame into perspective).

About the only change I made was to replace the tyres that came with it
(supposedly "all-terrain" tyres).  I found that the minute you took them
off-road (even on just hard backwoods dirt trails) those tyres just weren't
tough enough; I had three punctures is as many trips.  A set of higher-pressure
tyres were a lot more puncture-resistant, with the added benefit of being a lot
easier to pedal on the roads and bike trails where I do 90% or more of my
riding.

I've been a bit slack this year - the bike has spent far too much time in the
garage.