On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 01:25:52PM -0400, Ken Waller wrote:
> Along similar lines, I was experiencing neck issues with the riding
> position of my 1988 Cannondale MTB. Talked to a local Trek dealer
> and wound up with their 7300 hybrid.
> Cured the neck issue and put some more fun back into riding.
>
> The Cannondale was no slouch in its time but its enlightening to see
> the progress in bike technology since 1988.
> Both bikes have aluminum frames and are equipped with reasonably
> components - not the top of the line but far from junk. Thge
> shifters on the Trek are about as good as can be while the Cannodale
> has a less positive shift mechanism. The Trek has front suspension,
> a cushioning seat post several built in adjustable points while the
> Cannondale had none of that. The Trek cost $250 less than the
> Cannondale.

Bicycles are, if anything, worse than cameras when it comes to pricing.

When I wanted to get in a bit of exercise I decided to explore the cheap
options first.  For around $300 you can pick up a perfectly decent model
(in my case a 21-gear hybrid with front suspension forks, sprung seat,
upright riding position, etc.)  That's served me well for a few years now -
I don't feel a compelling need to go out and spend 5 (or 50) times as much.
Sure, it's a bit heavy.  But it's helped me remove about 40 lbs of unwanted
weight (which puts worrying over a few pounds of bike frame into perspective).

About the only change I made was to replace the tyres that came with it
(supposedly "all-terrain" tyres).  I found that the minute you took them
off-road (even on just hard backwoods dirt trails) those tyres just weren't
tough enough; I had three punctures is as many trips.  A set of higher-pressure
tyres were a lot more puncture-resistant, with the added benefit of being a lot
easier to pedal on the roads and bike trails where I do 90% or more of my
riding.

I've been a bit slack this year - the bike has spent far too much time in the
garage.