Along similar lines, I was experiencing neck issues with the riding position of my 1988 Cannondale MTB. Talked to a local Trek dealer and wound up with their 7300 hybrid.
Cured the neck issue and put some more fun back into riding.

The Cannondale was no slouch in its time but its enlightening to see the progress in bike technology since 1988. Both bikes have aluminum frames and are equipped with reasonably components - not the top of the line but far from junk. Thge shifters on the Trek are about as good as can be while the Cannodale has a less positive shift mechanism. The Trek has front suspension, a cushioning seat post several built in adjustable points while the Cannondale had none of that. The Trek cost $250 less than the Cannondale.

Kenneth Waller

----- Original Message ----- From: "Collin Brendemuehl" <coll...@brendemuehl.net>
Subject: Re: OT: Query for the cyclists

I recently discovered the hybrids.
All the versatility of a mountain bike
but with the finer features of a road bike.
And yoi don't have to bend over a racing handlebar.
Mine was a Giant FCR 2.  27-speed.
Pushbutton shifting is a joy.
Right now, out of season, in the $300-$400 range
for a good used one.

Sincerely,

Collin Brendemuehl
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose"
-- Jim Elliott