On 11-10-21 1:37 PM, Larry Colen wrote:
I suspect that photography is an art from that attracts people who like things
mechanical.  Maybe it's just the high percentage of Y chromosomes, or maybe
something about photography attracts gear heads.  Walt's recent post has
prompted several people to talk about their bikes, but I bet almost every one
on this list has a camera, and most of you know how to use it.  So, how about
posting photos of your bikes?

I suspect that there are some interesting ones owned by the members of the PDML.

Realizing that I have *no* photo of my bike at all, anywhere, I decided to go all out and get a proper shot. I cleared a wall in my office/studio and dragged the subject upstairs. I hadn't yet broken-in my new convertible umbrella, so I set up to light with 2 strobes, left & right.

So here it is: a 1973 vintage Dawes Galaxy. I bought it new for $219 from Bloor Cycle in Toronto. It's a touring bike with 27" road tires on aluminum rims, center-pull brakes, Reynolds 531 double butted steel tubing and a real Brooks leather seat. A couple of summers ago I got it out of storage, completely tore it down, cleaned it and replaced hopelessly broken stuff. The rear derailleur was useless (broken idler gears) so I bought the closest thing I could find that would fit. Everything has changed on bikes since this was manufactured, so the chain widths are different. That means I can only reach 8 gears now instead of the original 10.

But it runs and the ride is wonderful. I love the stiffness of steel. I've ridden modern fat-tubed aluminum bikes and they just feel heavy and spongy to me.

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/2254722/1/PDML?h=e7f676
(It's the bike, not the girl on the left.)

K20D, DA* 16-50/2.8 @ 26mm, f/8.0, 125th, ISO 200.
AF540FGZ x 2, shoot-thru brolly left, silver brolly right.
PP with LR 3.5

(Sorry about the outlets on the wall. A backdrop is on my wish list.)

-bmw