> > My working bike (as most of you know I'm a bike messenger) is a
> > Fondriest track bike - single speed, fixed gear, no brakes.
>
> Serious question, not meant to sound judgmental or confrontational:
>
> Why no gears, why no brakes?
>
> I have considered that maybe this was originally intended to make the
> bikes less attractive to thieves - stop for a delivery, run in, drop
> off, come back out, bike still there.  But now that this style of bike
> has become trendy amongst a certain set of riders, that doesn't seem to
> be a good theory....
>
>  -Charles

I think low maintenance was the original motivation.

Bike messengers are not well paid and presumably don't want to spend what
little they earn on bits of bike that wear out and cost money, but are no
use to them. Certainly in the centre of London there is no real need for
gears - it's flat and the journeys are all short. No gears means you can
ride a fixie - no freewheel, so no need for a rear brake. In the UK a bike
must legally be equipped with at least 2 brakes, so a front brake is
necessary on a fixie, but they are usually minimal; in some countries
presumably even that is not required.

When you take off all that stuff you're left with a very pretty essence of
bike, and that catches the eye of even the least aesthetic of people and
becomes a fashion thing.

If I had enough room in my house for more than one bike I would have a
single-speed for drifting around Greenwich, they're very attractive. I'd
also have a butcher's bike for going to the shops, a racer for commuting and
a tourer for, er, touring.