On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 10:54:03AM -0700, Tom C wrote:

> If true, does anyone else have a bit of a problem understanding this strategy?
>
> Assuming I had a K-5, what would induce me to buy a mirrorless system
> that is essentially in all other respects, a K-5? And likely without
> the weather-sealing and 100% viewfinder?
>
> If I had the choice of upgrading from a K-7 to a K-5 or the
> as-described camera, it would be a K-5.
>
> I was hoping for a clear reason to upgrade over and above a K-5.

I don't for one moment think this camera is intended as an upgrade to the K-5.

It's aimed at people considering a Micro 4/3 system, a Sony NEX, Nikon J1, &c,
especially those who already have (or have access to) several Pentax lenses.

I wouldn't buy the camera as described in the limited information we have seen
so far, but I didn't buy an *ist-DS, K-x, (or even the K-7) either.

I might be interested in the next model, especially if it is a more compact
system with a shorter register distance (as long as it comes with a K-mount
adapter that retains full functionality with at least SDM lenses (although
of course I'd like it to work with screw-drive AF, and KA-mount lenses!).
Mind you, we don't know that this camera doesn't already have all that ...
I'd also hope for more features with a fully-electronic viewfinder. We've
already seen selectable zoom (to check critical focus rather than framing),
and some compact cameras already have better focus-point indication than
just a red blob in the viewfinder (if you even get that ...).  I can think
of all sorts of extra possibilities that could be done with an EVIL body.

I'd want an enclosed viewfinder, though - experience with my wife's E-PL1
has taught me that a rear screen is almost useless in bright sunlight.

I'm still not sure, though, if I'd really want anything larger than a 4/3
system. The image quality of the current generation of sensors seems to be
good enough for almost everything I do (although I'm obviously not the most
demanding person here - until six months ago my K-10D was my main camera).
But comparing the size and weight of my K-5 with the 60-250 to the E-PL1
with the 40-150 makes me wonder just how often I need the extra abilities.

One more thing - there are places where an E-PL1 can go, but my K-5 can't.
Next week the US figure skating championships is in town. I'm not going,
but my wife is.  The HP Pavilion has a camera policy limited to still
photography with lenses at most 6" long, but that means she can (and will)
take the E-PL1.  I'm sure she'll manage to come back with something at
least as good as I was able to manage the last time the competition was
held here (in 1996, a month after we moved to California). In those days
I was shooting with my PZ-1p, and probably the FA 100-300 (I think the
A* 200 was a later accquisition). And of course modern digital sensors
are far more sensitive than the colour film stock available in 1996.