On 1/28/2012 6:35 PM, William Robb wrote:
On 28/01/2012 8:21 PM, Larry Colen wrote:

There will always be more that I can know about photography, not to
mention room to improve my physical skills to be able to best use what
knowledge that I do have.

Or it could mean that I'm occasionally prone to minor bursts of
hyperbole.

You seem to be one of the people who wants to know precisely how many
angels can dance on the head of a pin. It's not healthy, and I don't
think it makes for good photography, at least based on my own experience
(I cared about angels and pins for a little while, until I realized it
was wrecking my creativity).

I find a lot of my creativity in pushing the performance envelope of my gear. I find it a lot of fun to look for photos in situations where not long ago it would have been pretty much impossible to get any photos.
To do this, I really need to know where the edges of that envelope are.

It's kind of like instrumentation in a car. Most people just need a speedometer, an odometer and a big red "motor meltdown light". Oil pressure, temperature, tachometer etc. are completely superfluous. When I'm racing, I use all of those, and often to more accuracy than "good/indifferent/bad".

There are a lot of technical reasons these days to take control away from most drivers, and not confuse them with extra information. Automatic transmissions can do a better job than most drivers can do with a stickshift. Likewise ABS will outperform most drivers. Other people enjoy the exercise of doing it themselves, and getting the performance out of their car, rather than relying on microprocessors to do their thinking for them.

That's much the way that I like to take pictures. When I want to make the decisions for myself, I want reliable, accurate, information with which to make those decisions. And I do recognize that there are times when the camera can do a better job than I can, and I want to understand when those situations are, so I can make the decision to cede control to it.

--
Larry Colen l...@red4est.com (from dos4est)