On Jan 28, 2012, at 9:49 PM, Larry Colen wrote:

> On 1/28/2012 6:29 PM, Paul Stenquist wrote:
>> You can "expose to the right" or anywhere you choose by using exposure comp
>> in any metering mode. The metering isn't based on jpeg or RAW. It's based on
>> the light and what's in front of the lens. No meter is smarter than a
>> photographer who understands how meters work.
>
> I'm certain that if I'm wrong someone will correct me.  The metering mode in
> our cameras picks a spot to meter on, and sets the exposure for that point at
> midpoint. This means that if you look at the histogram, you usually get a
> bell curve right around the middle of the graph, expose to the middle.  This
> means that if you go direct from RAW to JPEG without any compensation in post
> processing, most of the pixels in the photo will be right around the midpoint
> of exposure.

No. In multi mode, the meter uses a program to analyze the scene and tries to
achieve a balance of highs and lows. If you don't like the histogram that
results, you can move it right or left with exposure comp. You only get a bell
curve in the middle when you have an average scene without extreme highs or
lwows.

> What it does not do is look at the pixels out at the tail end of that graph.
> If a bunch of them are off to the right, and you expose for the middle, then
> you end up clipping on a lot of your readings, in other words, you'll lose
> highlight detail.

Then you bring that back in by dialing in negative exposure comp.

> Alternatively, if most of the readings are to the left of the point that is
> metered for, then exposing for the middle will leave you with either a lot of
> pixels that are clipped black, or a lot of your shadow detail lost in the
> noise.

Then you dial in positive exposure comp. Simple.