on 2012-01-28 19:35 William Robb wrote
(I cared about angels
and pins for a little while, until I realized it was wrecking my creativity).

that seems to support the idea that it's a necessary part of the process of improvement ... and/or that you were one of the ones whose grappling with pins and angels was/is more problematic

i would agree overall, and go further: like most such things, a phase in creative development is not something that just goes away; one's growth process doesn't require the complete abandonment of previous stages, in fact i'd say it's healthy to maintain some connection to all the levels of one's being

and indeed, the histogram, especially if keyed to RAW output, is perhaps thing single best tool for getting quick feedback on exposure, whether used in the camera or in post; it's a far better synopsis than the meter; because of this i agree with Larry that it's ridiculous that a RAW histogram isn't the norm; lacking it, one must add another layer of second guessing, which makes it that much harder to finesse one's technique

i think the quick feedback loop (with attendant pins & angels) is one crucial way a DSLR can enable faster skills attainment; when it seems like i'm chimping, i'm actually just reading the histogram; it tells me what i couldn't see with certainty through the viewfinder; i would love a RAW histogram (in the viewfinder) and better tools to engage with it