When I first read this thread I thought, "Why can't those lazy sods at
Collin's workplace wash the parts before sending them to the studio?"
Then it occurred to me that they need to see the parts in their
"straight out of the (gear) box" condition.

So then I thought, "What's Collin's problem, then?"  Sometimes
photography needs to be done under difficult circumstances.  Your
grimy studio subjects are small beer compared to the shower of RPGs
that the poor reporter and photojournalist bought in Syria the other
day.  Whether it's extreme heat, cold, dust or danger, how you deal
with it separates the professionals from the wannabees.

If you know that you need latex gloves then you should wear them, no
arguments.  Sure you can wash your hands after they get oily, but you
should consider that these oils are as bad for your skin as they are
for your cameras' innards.  One of my favourite motoring programs is
"Wheeler Dealers" shown on DIscover Turbo channel (Velocity channel in
USA).  The resident mechanic on that show, Edd China, never ever
touches any mechanical part of a car without protective gloves.  It's
a good example to follow.

But if you're still reluctant to pull on gloves because they're a
hassle you might try using silicon oven mitts like these:
http://www.gourmetlifestyle.co.nz/Silicone%20Pot%20Mits.JPG
They slip on easily and aren't too clumsy.

regards, Anthony

   "Of what use is lens and light
    to those who lack in mind and sight"
                                               (Anon)