AlunFoto wrote:

>Hi Christine,
>I'm working on a project to record the works of my great granddad, to
>be represented in an exhibition in Lofoten in June. It's as Peter
>says, colour is critical. I use a grey card thingy from Lastolite to
>shoot a reference shot, and then adjust WB in post. According to the
>printer guy it works pretty well. He also appreciates that I use
>ProPhotoRGB in Lightroom for my colour space, and says it gives him
>the latitude he needs.
>
>I believe the K-5 would suffice for most paintings. It depends on
>their size, really. In my case all the reproductions will be in 1:1,
>so I guess anything over two square meters of canvas could deserve a
>stitchup of two or more shots. For my own part I use the 645D since I
>can, but I would have got by with K-5.
>
>My usual "trick" for lighting is to place the paintings on the floor
>and position the camera perpendicularly above on a tall tripod. If
>possible I do it in a room with a white-painted ceiling to bounce a
>flash off. It works pretty well in most cases. Avoid having other
>bright light sources around if you can.
>
>I bought my edition of "Light; Science and magic" in 1989. Possibly my
>best photographic investment, even though -or perhaps because- I
>mostly use ambient light. :-)

The only thing I'd add to this is that you need to see the paintings
and know how the artist works  before choosing a lighting set up -
some painters use techniques like palette knife, or even just very
heavily loaded brushes, which make their paintings' texture vitally
important to the look: They can be quite literally three-dimensional
works of art. In cases like this you'll need some amount of side
lighting to show the effect accurately.

--
Mark Roberts - Photography & Multimedia
www.robertstech.com