Unless the contract specifically states that you are working under a
work-for-hire, you shouldn't assume that the job is automatically WFH.
 The Copyright act has very specific conditions that qualify for WFH.

http://masslawblog.com/copyright/the-work-for-hire-trap/

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ09.pdf#search=%22work%20for%20hire%20nine%20categories%20copyright%20act%22

The short answer, talk to a lawyer that is versed in copyright or IP law.

--
David Parsons Photography
http://www.davidparsonsphoto.com

Aloha Photographer Photoblog