On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 2:04 PM, Tom C <caka...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tom,
>>
>> Somewhat of a rhetorical question.
>>
>> How many photos posted to PDML in the past week can you point to that would
>> be noticeably better with a 24MP sensor?
>>
>> How many would be cleaner with better high ISO performance?
>>
>> High ISO versus high megapixels in cameras is like fast laptimes versus
>> number of seats in a car.  Some of us want a sportscar that is fun to drive
>> around a racetrack, some people want something reliable with good fuel
>> economy, and others want an SUV to carry six kids around town.
>>
>> There is no single right answer.
>>
>>    Larry
>>

> Define better. :-)
>
> A good or excellent picture shot on a higher MP camera, all other
> things equal, will probably be a better picture as it contains more
> detail (of course you know that).
>
> A crumby picture shot on a higher MP camera will still be a crumby
> picture. Maybe crumbier because it contains more crumby detail.
>
> All I'm saying is the same that Boris just elicited. Pentax hanging
> onto a 16MP sensor will not look good when the rest of the world
> passes them buy. Hopefully the K30 is the last 16MP camera they make.
> Otherwise, Boris will be right. It doesn't matter how good the camera
> is, a 16MP sensor camera will be just another boring 16MP camera, just
> like the endless variety of 6MP *ist D's.

So much for the megapixel race being over.  God forbid that Pentax (or
anyone else) try to focus on features or usability or availability of
lenses, etc.

> Do you remember back in the *ist D days, how some here said '6MP was
> all they would ever need' and 'why would anyone need more'? Those same
> people bought a K10D, K20D, K7, K5, and likely will buy whatever the
> next flagship of Pentax will be.

I bought the K-5 because of the features besides the pixel count.  The
shot buffer was a huge reason; I was tired of the 3 frame limit in my
K100D Super.  The pentaprism was also a nice upgrade.

As for the megapixels, 6MP is plenty for any kind of online viewing.
Think about this, when have you ever seen a website use a picture
wider than maybe 1024 pixels?  Anything larger than the screen is
going to get scaled down unless you are pixel peeing and you zoom in.

I don't even export larger than 6MP (in Lightroom, in-camera jpegs are
set to 6MP).  No one I know ever needs to have 16MP jpeg files, not
even clients.  It clogs up email, web storage and bandwidth for no
discernible benefit (I understand pro level usage requirements).

> What I seem to hear you implying is that 16MP is a cut off point. I
> suspect we're just throwing that number around because it happens to
> represent Pentax's top of the line in APS-C at the moment.
>
> So here's a rhetorical question (more or less). If you could get an
> equal or almost as good high ISO performance in a sensor that has a
> big jump in base resolution (from which every shot could benefit
> from), would you?

We don't really have much choice do we.  Pentax is the one making
those decisions.

--
David Parsons Photography
http://www.davidparsonsphoto.com